Hearing God’s Voice
Jesus said, “Suffer the little children and forbid them not to come unto Me: for of such is the Kingdom of heaven” (Luke 19:14).
Overview– The same Holy Spirit that abides in adults also abides in the children and youth for there is no junior Holy Spirit. Jesus not only made the give the gift of salvation available to all ages, but the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Purpose –To equip children and youth to recognize and hear God’s voice; and to be able to share with others as God leads for His glory. Hearing God’s voice is essential not only to ones relationship with God, but fundamental for the ministry of prayer and intercession, healing, evangelism and worship. We tailor this seminar for two age groups: ages 7-12 and 13-17. The following are some areas we cover:
Session 1- Laying the Foundation
· An overview of the course to parents
· Understanding the heart of the Father
· Love never fails – 1 Cor. chapter 13
· The Prayer of Jesus – John 17:26
· The Gift of the Holy Spirit – John 14:14-17
The participation is in two parts. The first is to teach on the Father’s heart and impart His love. The second is to prepare hearts to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit- the Spirit of truth. Homework assignment- each one is given a scripture to ask God for the Spirit of Truth to reveal His thoughts to them to share at the next session.
Session 2- The Basics of Prophecy
· The Gifts of the Holy Spirit – 1 Cor. 12:7-11
· The purpose of prophesy 1 Cor. 13:3
· Who may prophesy – 1 Cor. 14:31
· Our qualifications: Jesus said to ask- Luke 11:9
· Interpreting prophecy – what we do with what we hear?
· Some guidelines for speaking to others in love
Begin this session by asking what God revealed to them through the scriptures. Also ask for testimonies how God touched their lives since the last meeting. Also ask the group for their experiences- have they ever heard God speak to them before? How?
Session 3- How God Speaks Part 1
· How God speaks to us – dreams, visions, etc.
· Some Biblical examples of God speaking
· His voice is spiritually discerned -1 Cor. 2:10-16
· Spiritual thoughts, inner visions and feelings
· The inner voice and His audible voice
The exercise we use for this session is to have a volunteer sit in a chair either up front, or in a circle. Each person is given a 5 x 8 card to write down what the Lord gives to them. This is given to the person in the chair to read to the group. This is followed by asking the group to share how they ‘heard” God speak to bring out the fact that each person hears differently, but yet similar in many ways. These different ways are written down on a white board for all to see. This is a real faith builder.
Session 4- How God Speaks Part 2
· Through a pun
· Through a parable
· Through highlighting
· Through memory recall
· Through familiar associations
· Through natural circumstances
The exercise for this session is to have someone come up front, while the rest of the group waits on the Lord for a word for them. This is followed by a time of sharing. If the group is large, break the group down into smaller groups of no more than 12 people, each group has a team leader.
Session 5- How God Speaks Part 3
· Spiritual sight
· Through the five senses
· Through cultural language
· Recognizing sympathy pains
· A note to pastors and parents.
This session ends with an activation exercise, but also time to answer questions by the group and the parents, as well as to glean testimonies on “How has this seminar helped you?”